I have an unshakable assurance that Jesus, the good shepherd knows me personally and leads me. As a result of this, I know Him personally, enjoy life in abundance and participate in His mission of bringing the sheep that do not belong to this fold.
The metaphor, Jesus the good Shepherd is a comforting one. This takes me back to Psalm 23 and reminds me of his presence, guidance, comfort and provision.
John 10:4 The sheep follow him as they know the Shepherd’s voice. Likewise we should know our Lord Jesus Christ’s voice to follow him. John 10:5 They will never follow a stranger. We should have the personal relation with Him to identify his voice and not fall for strangers.
Jesus is the gate ( the only way) and He is the good shepherd ( the only leader). His sheep ( the people) who knows Him follows Him.
Growing up in village, i have seen Shepherds carrying a staff which is used to accomplish 3 jobs. It is used to reach leaves that are in high places. It is put on the neck of the sheep that goes out of way and pull back to the right path. When danger approaches to harm the sheep, it is used to chase away the danger. He is a Good Shepherd indeed.
Whoever accepts Jesus and listen to his words are all one flock and we have one shepherd .
Skin and wool—————-
1. Jesus estimates that at best we are sheep – putting all self-esteem talk out of the window.
2. The verse I like is “My sheep”. “My” tells us where our worth really comes from. ( the price of a reading glasses is $20 but Gandhi’ glasses sold in an auction went to thousands of dollars? Why? Because of who it belongs to. We belong to Jesus. By ourselves we amount to nothing much. Try saying this to someone outside the church and you will get laughed at.
3. How to identify a Shepherd? Plain answer (v.15)- He lays down his life. This is the acid test.
Too much pain and disappointment has come from some so called shepherds who have
(a) just deserted (v.12)
(b) laid down their sheep’s life instead (10)
(c) scatter sheep away from the sheep pen and flees (v 12,13)
(d) teach other about laying down their life and sucking life out of life instead of abundant life in Jesus.
This doesn’t meant we need no Shepherd but we need ‘a’ good Shepherd that reflects THE good shepherd.(v 14) It is called “skin in the game”
Just a couple of verses that stand out. I have come that they may have life…to the full (v. 10), I lay down my life-only to take it up again (v. 17)
10 … நானோ அவைகளுக்கு ஜீவன் உண்டாயிருக்கவும், அது பரிபூரணப்படவும் வந்தேன்.- it is not just that we achieve everything at the entry but it has to be made full. Still a long way to go. Follow the Master and keep going. Take one step ahead at a time.
16 இந்தத் தொழுவத்திலுள்ளவைகளல்லாமல் வேறே ஆடுகளும் எனக்கு உண்டு…I believe we are all in this category. We got this privilege only through Jesus. What a wonderful gift it is!
1) The ONLY way to enter into the sheep pen is through the gate (I am the way..no one comes to the father except through me. John 14:6) Thank you Lord for showing us the way to eternal life. 2)The sheep listens ONLY to the voice of its shepherd ( Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it. Luke 11:28) Lord help us to recognize ONLY your voice.
3) The shepherd calls each of the sheep by its name (I have called you by name. You are mine. Isaiah 43:1) Thank you Lord for calling each one of us by our name though we are not worthy of it.
4) The shepherd goes ahead of the sheep (My presence shall go with you. Exodus 33:14) Thank you Lord for showing us the way to walk.
5) The sheep will find pasture (He make me to lie down in green pastures. Psalm 23:2) Thank you Lord for being our provider.
6) A good shepherd lays his life for the sheep (Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. 1John 3:16) Lord you gave your life so that we may live.
Jesus is the good shepherd and we are his sheep.
Jesus is the gate to enter the eternal life.
Jesus is the only “Good Shepherd ” whom we can trust and follow as he leads us to the green pastures. When we obey Him, he will fulfill our needs just like the sheep finds the pastures.
As I am his sheep, I have to follow his instructions and listen to his voice.
I thank God for he knows me by name and that he gave himself for me.
Jesus is the good shepherd. We are the sheep. He will not run away when a wolf(devil) comes, but he will protect us.
Jesus is the Good shepherd . He knows us and we follow Him.
1. Own the sheep -…He calls His own sheep (v3), He brings His own sheep out (from sin), and He goes on ahead of them (to the Kingdom of God) and His sheep follow Him (His words) (v4), the sheep that enter through Him will be saved and they will find pasture (v9). “I lay down my life for the sheep” (v15). So, He owns the sheep.
2. One flock
-I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen (Gentiles). I must bring them also, they too will listen to my voice (are we?), and there shall be one flock and one Shepherd (v16). We all will be same under His sheep pen, under the Good Shepherd!
3. Own authority
-…I lay down my life (v17). No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own accord (for our sins!). I have own authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. Though he had His own authority He still died on the cross to cleanse us and save us!
When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. – Are we among the sheep who knows HIS voice clearly and follow him?
Jesus said “whoever enters by me will be saved”.Jesus promised us eternal life and in him only we would get eternal life.
Jesus says, “I’m the good Shepherd”.
1. A good shepherd is always watchful for his flocks.
2. He protects them from all dangers
3. He guides them to the green pastures.
But all these things will happen only if we are His sheep’s. To be His sheep’s we must
1. Accept Him in our life as a shepherd
2. Wait for His guidance
3. Follow His instructions
4. Trust/Believe in Him as the good shepherd
The way to get to heaven is only through Him. He is the gate, we must believe and do His will to be saved.
Jesus emphasized His identity as I am the door, I am the proper way, I am the only way. Jesus is the Good Shepherd. If we follow HIM, we will listen to His voice. Normally shepherd goes in front and guide sheep from robbers and wolves. V15-Just as Father knows me, Do we know the Father well in our life.